Monday, November 1, 2010

BEST DAY IN GUATE!!

BARRILETES!!  That's the Guatemalan word for kites.  And barrites gigantes are more gigantic than I had imagined.  Even withe the photos I'd seen and the stories I'd heard.  WOW!  So the biggest one that they try to fly is about 7 feet in diameter.
Well, let me set the stage for you.  Yesterday was Halloween, so I decided to break out my rainbow Cat in the Hat Hat.  Yup, it's awesome.  So, getting some fun looks as Jamil and I wandered down the cobblestone streets of Antigua was pretty fun.  People staring at me is far from unusual around here, but the hat definitely gave them carte blanche.  So, after breakfast Jamil and I sat in the park for a couple hours just pondering the potential in the world... or in the evening.  Then it dawned on me that instead of trying to pull off brown Jesus as a costume, I could forgo the face paint and hair dye, and trade it in for yarn and a pulled scalp.  Yup, those ladies that offer a cute little hair wrap to accent your locks had no idea that there was gonna be so much work today.  It took three less than gentle ladies an hour to fill my head with strands of primary colors.   Well, I have to acknowledge that the negotiator was kindly reminding the least merciful woman not to pull me head so hard.  AND OH WHAT A SCENE IT WAS!  I think even the people sitting on the best benches in the park must have given up that privilege to stop by and see the trifecta.  So I decided that telling some jokes and asking people to return the favor would break the ice a little.  Really, there was only a couple of feet between the closest onlookers and myself...  which was awkward since I was sitting on the curb and they were hovering on foot.  So it gave me the opportunity to try out the clown persona, while I was getting the ascetics in order. 
So if there are no pics here, please someone tell me how to add pics to blogspot.  I've tried before and will again.

Alright, so the costume is one rainbow hat, rainbow wrapped strands of hair, -and I wouldn't show up without bells on- and yes, bells on the tips of the hair.  Could only get better if I actually managed to employ the rainbow fingernail paints and rope somone into applying the face paint. Well, something has to be left for Wednesday right?  Yeah, don't you dress up for your birthday?

This morning I went to bed a cool 3 hours before getting up to head to Sumpango.  Halloween can lead to not wanting to go to bed, but getting to a once in my lifetime kite extravaganza was not going to be compromised.  So I forwent the shower and got right onto the bus.  Yup, just my face paint and me.  No camera, no sunscreen, no extra bells to replace the ones that fall from my head.  Just rainbow hat, rainbow hair, and the bells that hung on during the tossing and turning of the night.
Here's why you ought to come to Guatemala or seek out a Guatemalan in your community.  Get to the bus stop and ask a woman how to get to Sumpango on the bus.  She pleasantly confirmed the information I had and we were off.  She didn't even ask me why I was rockin the rainbowness.  Sweet.  Helpful.  But that's just the Guate way.  Next guy I asked for the connecting bus walked me there and made sure I got on alright.  On the way home, a family with whom I shared my super cool $15 cellphone flashlight ilumination took it upon themselves to find out where I was headed.  Yeah, we had already parted ways and they sent a courteous 14 year old to ask my destination.   Then they sent him back again after pondering the best way for me to return to Antigua at 6:30 in the evening. I was told that there were buses until 7, but they were sure I needed  to catch one going the oposite direction in order to catch my connecting bus to Antigua.  I really didn't like that, but who am I to argue with the kind folks that make it their business to navigate my route home.  They were right! Oh wait, the guy on the bus home also took me under his wing.  Sure, that one ended in a longer walk home than expected, but now I have a pizza hook up at Macarone. 
Sadly, my exhaustion has caught up.  More very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment